Being pregnant is a blessing and I am so grateful that I am getting to experience it for a second time.
However, I must admit that I was very naive in assuming that it would be just like the first. I underestimated just how different being pregnant with a 4 year in tow would be!
I have put together a few of those differences in a lighthearted way as I don’t want to seem in anyway ungrateful for my second pregnancy I just want to point out – it’s pretty different.
First pregnancy vs second pregnancy
- With my first pregnancy I knew exactly how many weeks pregnant I was down the the exact day! No prompting needed. Now, however, I mostly have no idea! I dread when someone asks me as I am mentally trying to remember what that pregnancy app popped up with this morning!
- First pregnancy I was looking pretty good. Nice clothes, make up and hair done and I even felt like I have that ‘glow’. Now, well I live in leggings and Primark vest tops and cardigans. Hair scrapped up in a clip 6 days out of 7 and make up – Tinted moisturiser and go!
- Throughout my first pregnancy I knew exactly when my midwife appointments were. I would be counting down the days excitedly on my calendar and always arriving early. Second pregnancy, I forget entirely, double book myself or if I do remember I arrive late with my 4 year old in tow bribing him with chocolate buttons praying the midwife isn’t judging me!
- My first pregnancy was very organised. By the start of the 3rd trimester we had bought pretty much everything and assembled it all in our beautifully decorated nursery. This time around I am nearing my 3rd trimester and I have barely scratched the surface! I am looking desperately in the loft for what I can salvage from the first time around and praying for some sales in the near future.
- Being able to just sit down and rest. My first pregnancy was lovely. Arriving home from work putting my feet up with a cup of a tea and even having the occasional lie in at the weekend! Well I wish I had enjoyed those times so much more. Now, Lie down – nope, lie in – never. I do get to sit down occasionally between the work, housework and school run but only if I am watching Moana or Sing for the 100th time with my 4 year old.
- In my first pregnancy I was writing about my pregnancy journey, the symptoms, the ups and downs, the cravings and counting the kicks. Nothing went unnoticed. Now, however, I have a pregnancy journal with scan pictures – but that’s as far as it goes.
- The excitement of the kicking and movements in the first pregnancy are amazing! Me and my husband would get so excited sitting for ages with hands on my belly waiting for the next one and discussing how we have the next David Beckham inside there. Second pregnancy tends to go more like this; Me; “Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that he was moving and kicking loads earlier.” Husband;”Really?” Me; “Yep.” That’s usually as far as it goes.
Like I have said before I am incredibly blessed and grateful to be having another baby and we are, as a family very excited. I just didn’t quite anticipate just how different things were going to be the second time around….
Lots of love